BTRC launches 5G spectrum auction for mobile operators



| Update:
Mar 31, 2022 5:27:44 p.m.


The Bangladesh Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has opened a 5G spectrum auction for mobile operators.

Four mobile operators will share the rights to operate 5G on a commercial basis at the InterContinental Hotel in Dhaka on Thursday at 11:15 a.m., bdnews24.com reports.

The auction was opened by Md Mohiuddin Ahmed, Commissioner of BTRC’s Spectrum Division and Organizer of the Auction Management Committee.

Minister of Posts and Telecommunications Mustafa Jabbar and other senior officials were present.

The four bidders in the auction – Grameenphone, Robi, Banglalink and state operator Teletalk – sat at separate tables.

Currently, 4G services are operational in Bangladesh. Once 5G service is introduced, the speed of mobile internet is expected to increase several times. Teletalk conducted a 5G service test on December 12.

Thursday’s auction will include 10 blocks of 100 MHz waves in the 2.3 GHz band and 12 blocks of 120 MHz waves in the 2.6 GHz band.

This is the largest spectrum auction in the history of Bangladesh.

According to telecommunications regulator BTRC, the base price for each MHz of spectrum has been set at $6 billion for a 15-year contract. Spectrum will be auctioned in blocks of 10 MHz, meaning operators will need to purchase a minimum of 10 MHz at one time.

Operators must pay 10% of the total purchase price within 60 days of the announcement of the final auction results, while the remaining 90% will be paid in equal installments over nine years.

Grameenphone, the country’s largest operator by number of subscribers, currently owns 46.40 MHz of spectrum. Robi is entitled to use 44 MHz, Banglalink 40 MHz and Teletalk 25.20 MHz.

Comments are closed.