Encounter: Mobile internet broken in parts of Jammu, schools closed

Representative picture

Sunjwan—Bathandi traffic restricted

Jammu, 22nd April (KNO): Mobile internet services are partially suspended in parts of Jammu while schools within 5km radius of Sunjwan dating site remain closed today as a precautionary measure in view of the encounter underway in the outskirts of town.

Official sources told Kashmir News Observer (KNO) news agency that mobile internet was cut around 5am in South Jammu including Sunjwan area, Bathandi, Narwal, Bahu Fort , the Malik market of Bahu thesil as a precaution given to meet.

They added that some disbelievers might mislead or exploit the local people of these areas during Friday prayers because earlier too these areas witnessed such situations where the locals tried to take the law into their own hands.

Officials added that to avoid any incident or disruption of forces at the dating site, telecom operators have asked to suspend internet services until further notice.

Meanwhile, the director of education, Jammu, ordered the closure of schools within a five-kilometre radius of the meeting site.

Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jodhamal School and Heritage School including Govt HSS Sunjwan, Govt HS Bhatindi, International Delhi Public School Sunjwan, RM Public school Chowadi, Govt HS Chowadi, Doon School, DS Heritage,

Birla Open Mind School, British International School, GPS Chowadi remained closed due to ongoing encounters.

In addition, the movement of civilians in the Sunjwan and Bathandi area has been restricted by barriers placed on the national road to stop any type of movement.

Earlier, an encounter broke out between militants and security forces in Jallalabad area in Sunjwan, Jammu in the early hours.

One CISF member was killed and four other security personnel injured in an ongoing shootout.

“Overnight, we had cordoned off the area (Sunjwan) following reports of the presence of terrorists who were planning to do something,” ADGP Jammu Mukesh Singh told reporters.

He said that in the early hours of the morning, security personnel came under fire from the militants, during which one security officer was killed and three to four others injured—(KNO)

Comments are closed.