IMEI Tracker: How to Find Lost Android Mobile Phone and iPhone Using IMEI Number Online
Losing or having your phone stolen can be a terrible situation. Not only have you lost your hard-earned device, but also all the years of important data and files stored on it. Although there is a very low chance of recovering such a device, especially in a crowded place, you can actually track your device using the government-launched website and even lock it remotely to avoid damage. further damage your data stored in the device. Similarly, phone manufacturers have also preloaded their devices with software and tools to locate a lost or stolen phone in a few simple steps. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the process of filing a locate request for your misplaced mobile phone, so without further ado, let’s get started.
What is an IMEI number and how can it be used to track a phone?
IMEI stands for “International Mobile Equipment Identity”, which is a unique 15-digit number that acts as a certificate of your device. It is printed on the box of a mobile phone as well as in the software. What makes it so important is that this number can be used by the police to locate your lost or misplaced cell phone. Relevant authorities have set up trackers to track any genuine IMEI number in case of criminal activity or incident with the owner/user of the device.
How to Find a Lost Phone Using IMEI Number Online
Although there is a very low chance of recovering a lost or stolen phone, however, with the help of a government portal such as the Central Equipment Identity Registry (CEIR), you can block your phone remotely while the relevant authorities are investigating the case. But before proceeding with the process, make sure you have the lost phone’s IMEI number with you. This number is usually found on the back or sides of the mobile phone box. With that out of the way, here is the step by step procedure to register a claim for a lost/stolen phone.
- From your PC or desktop computer, go to CIER website
- While opening the website, you will have to fill a long form and provide all the necessary details related to the lost phone, such as phone brand, model, last location, etc.
- The portal will also ask you for the phone bill and you will need to upload it as well
- Next, fill in your personal information and when you are done, provide another number and select the “Get OTP” button.
- Once you have received the OTP on the given mobile number, press the “Submit” button to complete your lost phone locator request
- You will then receive an Application ID number which can later be used to unlock an IMEI number
Once you go through this process and submit your request, network operators will be notified to blacklist the particular IMEI number to prevent misuse of your phone. Thereafter, you can also file a request with your network operator to deactivate the SIM card of your lost or stolen phone. Also note that this particular government service is only available in Delhi, Maharashtra and Karnataka at the moment.
1. What are the other ways to track and find a lost phone?
Blocking the IMEI number is a time-consuming but worthwhile task. However, if your phone has just been lost or stolen, you can quickly track it while the internet is working fine on the device. Android phones and iPhones have their own built-in security trackers that can help users track their lost devices. Here’s how.
Find Android Phone Using Google Find My Device
Every Android phone has a “Find My Device” feature that can be used to find a phone through a PC or other phones. Here is the step by step process for the same.
Find an iPhone using Find My iPhone
Find My iPhone is Apple’s solution for finding a lost or stolen iPhone remotely via PC or desktop. The process for using the feature is as follows.
- Go to the official Apple website Find My iPhone Website
- Sign in with your Apple ID if you’ve already done so
- Select the device you want to locate
- If your device is found, it will appear on the map. However, if not, you can select “Notify me when found” to receive an email immediately when the device is online.
2. How to recover important data from a lost phone?
Android and iOS provide backups of basic data such as contacts, SMS, app data, calendar events, etc. by default. As long as this data is backed up, you can log into your email accounts on another device and recover said data. However, when it comes to media files and if you have enabled backup option specifically for them, only then there is a chance to get those files stored locally.