Mobile Internet access slowly restored in Sudan | Science and technology news
Access to the service was cut off following a deadly crackdown on protesters outside army headquarters in June.
Video duration 02 minutes 07 seconds
Sudan’s telecommunications providers began restoring mobile internet access weeks after service was cut off following a deadly crackdown on protesters.
The ruling Transitional Military Council (TMC) cut internet access after government forces opened fire on protesters in a peaceful sit-in outside army headquarters in Khartoum on June 3 , killing over 100 people.
Court-ordered services were restored across Sudan on Tuesday after lawyer Abdelazim al-Hassan launched a lawsuit challenging the blockage.
The catering was limited to landlines, however, prompting the Khartoum-based lawyer to demand that it be extended to 3G and 4G mobile services.
“I went back to court and said that many customers of Zain and other telecommunications companies had been affected as a result of the cut,” Hassan said at a press conference.
“Today the court ordered Zain, MTN and Sudani to restore their mobile internet services,” he said, referring to the three major telecommunications companies operating in Sudan.
Several subscribers confirmed that the services had been restored to their mobile devices.
“I’m still not happy because it shouldn’t have been done,” said Marwa Abdelrahim, a teacher at Ahfad University for Women in Khartoum’s twin city, Omdurman.
“The government has no right to hold the country hostage,” she added.
Social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter enabled Sudanese to mobilize in the weeks leading up to and during the protests that toppled longtime leader Omar al-Bashir.
Although al-Bashir was toppled in early April, protests demanding that the military cede power to an authority led by civilians persisted.
“As for social media, we see during this period that they represent a threat to the security of the country and we will not allow it,” General Shamseddine Kabbashi, spokesman for the military council at the Military Council, said last month. to be able to.
But last week, generals and protesters reached an agreement to form a joint civil-military governing body, which will install a new government and a new parliament for a three-year transition period.
The agreement between the two parties is expected to be formally signed in the coming days.