Mobile Internet, data services will be banned with immediate effect

“Mobile internet / data services / bulk SMS from all providers throughout the Mon district area banned with immediate effect until further notice,” Nagaland Interior Commissioner Abhijit Sinha said in a statement. stopped.

Reacting to the incident, Home Secretary Amit Shah said: “Anguished by the unfortunate incident in Oting, Nagaland, on Monday. I express my deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives. A high-level SIT appointed by the state government will thoroughly investigate this incident to ensure justice for the bereaved families. ”

Meanwhile, Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has promised a high-level investigation into the incident and called on all sections of society to keep the peace. He tweeted: “The unfortunate incident which led to the killing of civilians in Oting, Mon is highly condemnable. The high level SIT will investigate and justice will be served according to the law of the land. Call for peace from all sections. ”

At least 13 civilians were shot dead by security forces in Nagaland’s Mon district, police said on Sunday, adding that they were investigating whether the incident was a case of mistaken identity. A soldier also died in the riots that followed.

The first shooting occurred when soldiers who confused some coal mine workers were driving home in a van singing songs on Saturday night, to be insurgents belonging to the Yung Aung faction of the banned NSCN (K) outfit. , killing six workers, about whom they had been warned of.

As the workers could not reach their homes, local youths and villagers searched for them and surrounded army vehicles. In the ensuing melee, a soldier was killed and army vehicles were set on fire. Soldiers who fired in self-defense killed seven other civilians, police officials said.

Angry mobs have since vandalized Union offices in Konyak and a rifle camp in Assam on Sunday afternoon. The Nagaland government, via a notification, banned mobile internet and data services as well as bulk texting in the district to curb the “circulation of inflammatory videos, images or texts.”

Police said the autopsy of the 13 people killed was underway as of Monday and feared the death toll could rise as at least two of the injured were critical and had to be evacuated to hospitals in Assam while the others were treated in Nagaland.

Ordering a court of inquiry into the incident, the military said one of its members was killed and several others were seriously injured. He said the incident and its aftermath are “deeply regretted” and that the unfortunate loss of life is being investigated at the highest level.

The state government has formed a five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) led by IGP Nagaland, officials said. Lt. Col. Sumit K Sharma of PRO Defense (Kohima) said that “on the basis of credible intelligence on probable insurgent movements, a specific operation was to be carried out in Tiru area, Mon district, Nagaland . The incident and its consequences are deeply regretted. ”

An investigation is underway to determine whether the incident was a case of mistaken identity, the officer said. Mon shares a porous international border with Myanmar, where the Yung Aung faction of the NSCN (K) is based.

Official sources said Defense Minister Rajnath Singh and Army Chief General MM Naravane had been informed of the incident. “SIT will investigate the incident from all angles while a court of inquiry has been instituted against the military personnel involved,” Jagdish Mukhi, governor of Assam and Nagaland, said in a statement, while calling for peace.

Reacting to the incident, however, Gandhi pointed out in a social media post, “It’s heartbreaking. The Indian government must give a real response. What exactly is the Home Office doing when neither civilians nor security personnel? are not safe in our own country? ”

West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also expressed his condolences to the families of civilians allegedly killed by security forces in the Mon district of Nagaland.

“Disturbing news from Nagaland. Sincere condolences to the bereaved families. I pray for the speedy recovery of those injured,” Banerjee tweeted.

“We must ensure a thorough investigation of the incident and ensure that all victims get justice!” she added.

In protest at the incident, the People’s Organization of East Nagaland (ENPO) urged the region’s six tribes to withdraw their participation in the ongoing Hornbill Festival, which is the state’s biggest tourist extravaganza.

“While expressing its deep sadness and sorrow at the indiscriminate fire from the Indian security forces in which more than 10 day laborers from the village of Oting were blatantly killed, ENPO vehemently condemns the barbaric act of the forces security, “the organization said in a statement.

ENPO asked the six tribes to hoist black flags in their respective Morungs at the site of the Hornbill Festival Naga Heritage Village in Kisama near the state capital against the incident.

“It should be understood by all concerned that this order / movement is not against the state government, but to show resentment against the security forces who committed this heinous crime, and to show solidarity of the 6 tribes, ”he said.

To subscribe to Mint newsletters

* Enter a valid email address

* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our app now !!

Comments are closed.