Ranking of the 4 fastest mobile internet operators in South Africa – IT news Africa

Internet speed and connectivity tester Ookla released its market analysis for South Africa last month, ranking the country’s fastest mobile internet operators.

The analysis only takes into account the country’s major mobile operators, those which account for 3% or more of the total test samples in the market in Q2 2021 – small providers are not tested and therefore are not included in the analysis. classification.

All operators are ranked based on their speed score, which incorporates a measure of each provider’s upload and download speed to rank network performance (90% of the final speed score is attributed to download speed and the remaining 10% to download speed, as online experiences are generally more affected by download speed).

Ookla emphasizes median speeds, as they represent what most mobile internet customers will experience on a daily basis.

South African mobile operators ranked by fastest internet speed:

4. Cell C

Speed ​​score – 23.53

Cell C ranked last as the slowest mobile internet provider in the country – its network also has the most average latency and is the least consistent.

Launched in 2001 at a time when its biggest competitors and the other names on this list were already taking over large swathes of the country’s booming mobile market, Cell C has managed to grow and take significant steps since launching. . In 2012, the company grew from 9 million subscribers to over 20 million in 2015.

Recently, the operator has struggled to maintain momentum. In 2020, Cell-C had approximately 12 million subscribers.

The company offers a plethora of products, from mobile devices to data plans. Unique 7-day mobile data plans are available from R10, plans up to 4 GB valid for 12 months from R1299 in advance.

3. Telkom

Speed ​​Score – 26.07

Telkom ranked 3rd in terms of the fastest mobile internet. However, the operator keeps the second most consistent network and has the least latency mobile internet in the country.

One of the leading providers of ICT services, Telkom is present in more than 38 countries across Africa. The company is a basic Internet service provider for South Africa and is 39% state-owned.

Telkom offers a wide range of products including monthly mobile data plans that start at R7 once from 35MB, to R299 once from 5GB mobile data.

2. Vodacom

Speed ​​score – 35.38

South Africa’s second fastest mobile internet is owned by Vodacom. Its networks have the second least latency, but the operator has the second most inconsistent network.

One of Africa’s leading digital and financial services companies, Vodacom is majority-owned (60.5%) by Britain’s Vodafone, one of the world’s largest communications companies. The telecommunications company was founded in South Africa and has since spread to many countries on the continent.

The company says its mobile networks cover more than 295.8 million people.

Vodacom offers mobile data, devices and even insurance. One-time and monthly recurring data plans are available, from R10 for 15MB to R1010 for 20GB.

1. MTN

Speed ​​score – 60.44

Consistently ranked as the best mobile internet operator in South Africa, MTN also has the most consistent and third lowest latency mobile internet.

The largest mobile network operator in Africa and the 8th in the world. MTN says it was formalized in 2001 in South Africa and has grown exponentially over the years, to the point that its bright yellow branding is ubiquitous in the Rainbow Nation.

The company has also spread to many African countries, including Nigeria, where it has a significant percentage of its market share.

MTN offers Internet services and devices, as well as insurance. Its Internet packages are extensive. In terms of mobile internet, the company offers 1 GB of mobile data for R199 once per month up to 100 GB for R299 per month.


By Luis Monzon
To follow Luis Monzon on Twitter
To follow Africa IT News on Twitter

Comments are closed.